Older adults 'may need help' in their own homes

Posted on 12 August 2011

People who will soon be choosing a care home often need more help to live in their own house.

Lili Hoag, senior policy and communications officer at Counsel and Care, encouraged family members of those who may have hurt themselves or have a fall to contact their local authority.

She explained that everyone can have an assessment, whether self-funded or not.

"You can call them and they can come and help assess their home and them, to see if there are ways that they can be better supported," said the expert.

Furthermore, aids and adaptations such as putting a guard rail in the bath or installing an alarm or video system can provide much-needed support for older members of the family.

In other news, British pensioners are struggling to care for their own parents, and are sacrificing their own plans to look after them, according to research from Carers UK.

Posted by Natalie Edwards



News search form